View Single Post
Old April 26th, 2022, 08:23 AM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Bad gas even with Sta-bul ?

Hi guys ! My Ninja has taken a back seat because of the work on my brand new bike.... I'm replacing the rear monoshock spring for a lighter one so I'll get a softer ride... the stock one beats me to death !
anyway I fired up the ninja and moved it out of the shop so I could put the RX4 in there and work on it... the ninja started easily ran on both cylinders
but even after running it for about 5 minutes it seems to be taking the throttle very slowly ...not as fast as I remember it used to rev like by any means
maybe it was just very cold, i dunno but slow reving is a new thing on this beast..... it acted like it was freshly started after a cold as hell night but even after 5 minutes it was still like that.... still slow.... and I'm trying to figure that out !
Yes it has been sitting for the last 3 months and only started and ran for a few minutes once a month or so....
the Triumph refused to start... about 3 weeks ago so I cleaned the pilot jets and it fired up 1st kick ! ..... and that bothers me because to me that sounds like the ninja needs a carb cleaning again !
....I think I put sta-bul in every bike and sloshed it around then ran them long enough for the stuff to get to the carbs on all of them.... but we all know how that goes half the time the stuff ya buy don't work at all !
.... the RX4 starts fantastically ( it should it's new!)
and so does the TT250 (it's also new)
but the triumph and the ninja are showing signs of crap in the carbs...
their also older and may have varnish buildup inside the carbs.... ( the triumph has new carbs on it though )
.... makes me think as gas ages it clumps up.... in clumps big enough to plug the tiny idle jets in the triumph....
and if that's the case the ninja's carbs need to come off AGAIN !
Any thoughts ?
besides get off your butt and ride those bikes Bob !!! LOL (they need it)

Bob.....