View Single Post
Old May 25th, 2022, 02:53 AM   #53
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Thats good to know as the 400~450lb spring I have in there now is a bit on the hard side.... a little softer would be nice....
on the ride this afternoon I went on a road that when I first got the bike I took it on and it beat me to death, today it was noticable but not too bad...
there is cracks about every 12 ft in the pavement that have been patched but it is a rough road.... no doubt I had to slow down the first time I went on it but this time I took it at 55mph or so ...
so it's getting there....
it's weird ..I bought a 450cc bike because I wanted something smaller than a 650cc and lighter and closer to the ground... what I got was a 450cc bike 40hp
and capable of 80mph with no problem , but a bike that weighs more than a KLR 650 ! I didn't think the weight would be that big of a factor but boy was I so wrong... the Triumph is alot lighter out there as it's weight is low with the RX4 the COG is at my crotch ! instead of mid calf like the Triumph....
.... if I was 20 years younger there would be no problem in fact it would probably be riding on the bottomed out shock but at 68yrs old that hard stuff is not my cup of tea anymore !
..... so it's back to lowering the bike again this 32" seat height is not for me
.... I was actually joking about falling over at a stop sign ...till I did that today.... it's embarrassing and maddening to be thrown off your bike at a stop ! lol.....
i DID learn something today though,.... one the gas cap needs to be completely flush and don't use the front brake to hold the bike until you stop moving completely I was still moving at walking speed and when I hit the brake, the weight shifted to the right and just kept on going !
with a smaller lighter bike that maneuver wouldn't have been a problem but with this bike.... it was a problem ! my right foot was on the rear brake and by the time it got to the ground it was already too far to arrest the movement !.... stupid,stupid, stupid ! but I am learning what not to do on the bike !
.... tonight my back and shoulders are killing me I'm sure I pulled several mussels ! getting that thing upright again....
I think alot of my problems is trying to get back to the place where I was 30 years ago in my riding,... being without a reliable bike for 5 years and not constantly riding one, definitely puts one on the down hill side again...
things that I used to do without even thinking about it, like stopping today
are different than they used to be !
and I'm wondering now if this is the bike for me or not... super heavy and too tall is a bad combination in my book no matter your age !
I do not think I could shave off 20lbs off that bike even if I went into it really hard to get every last ounce ! and 20lbs is a drop in the bucket with it ...it needs to loose 150 lbs not just 20lbs ! even if I removed everything on it down to the frame and engine and gas tank I bet I would only gain 50lbs and it would look like hell !
.... I had the muffler off last week and to my surprise it was not that heavy at all.... I was shocked ! every Honda I've ever owned had a boat anchor for a muffler !!!!
it's a good bike... I'm just not sure it's good for me !
I find myself whishing I still had my XR650L Honda that I finally got to fit me
but alas it melted in the Ranch fire along with my 5 other bikes !
but that was a Dirt bike you could ride on the street, I want a street bike you can ride on the dirt.... there is a difference ! ( LOL mostly in weight I guess!)
ahh well.... it'll all come out in the wash, as my father used to say !
I'm not giving up on it but 2 times of it falling over on me makes me really mad ! why would they make a frigging bike so tall ? I know they can make them lower but they don't do that !
... maybe I need to Ride the Triumph more ! HAHAHAHA !
later !
Bob....