View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #51
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), and 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R (multiple winter project)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHairSar View Post
I'm a new rider in DC (and going to UMD), and I was hoping to find come good recommendations for shops, so cool, thanks!

Also, I took my MSF at CCVA in Alexandria for $150. It was the cheapest I found in the area, and I was really happy with it. Only problem is that form MD drivers, it wont qualify you to waive the road test. In DC (where I'm licensed) you have to take the written over, but it waives the road.
Most of the basic work, you should be able to do yourself. Oil and filter change, cleaning the oil screen, air filter, fuel filter mod, spark plugs, lubing cables... You should definitely learn it anyway. It'll save you hundreds in the long run. And I'm sure you can find volunteers to help out, online and locally.

The carburetor is a major pain. You have to take everything from the fuel tank to the back fender off the bike to remove the carb. And definitely replace the soft screws once you get them off. I was lucky that mine didn't have that many miles, so I didn't bother with syncing or any other adjustments. But I can't imagine a shop could have taken more care on cleaning my carb than I did myself. My pilot jets were shiny new when I was done with them!

After this weekend, I'll let you know how my efforts go taking the rear and front wheels off. I need to get new tires mounted, and I can't ride with the new tires to have them changed. While I have the rear wheel off, I plan to do some maintanence on the swingarm and chain.

Oh, if you have plans to lower you ninja, I have 2" lowering links available!
jaesun is offline   Reply With Quote