Thread: me Duc
View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2019, 08:15 AM   #53
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
No idea of bare frame weight, never had a need nor want to know.

The attraction of 900SS is the total package, combination of Italian styling, low weight, aural appeal, suspension, handling, reliable, serviceable, dead simple, torquey output air cooled Desmodue powerplant...on and on. Those legendary Ducati engineers designed the whole package just right, IMHO. The machine still sought after, a huge following. Don't want nor need any new, complex, computerized controlled everything, new fangled stuff.
The light weight is what appeals to me most on the SS series followed closely by the style then the simplicity of the entire bike eslecially that 2valve motor. The 900 will get smoked in a straight line by any of the 600cc super sports but they carve corners like they are on rails and the bottomless always available torque those motors pump out makes them ideal foe the street. I have 2 water cooled ducs already and I have been trying to decide between a 250 2 stroke or a 900SS as my next bike. Really tough decision as I have wanted both for years. The Duc is the better choice but the appeal of something as rare as a NSR, TZR or RGV is nearly irresistable. The Duc would be half the price and half the maintainance but a 300 lb 50hp 2 stoke....well I dont need to say any more on that. I have seen people get their 900SS down to 370-360 lbs with lots of work and money so the potential is there. Still a tough decision for me.
I am still jealous of your SS and the VFR also as that would be #4 in my stable if I could convince my wife to allow any more bikes. Honday reliability in a beautiful, great handeling chassis plus the smooth power of the V4 and the wonderful sound they make opened up!
The only possible negative is the weight but I have ridden a couple of versions (700 800 and 1200) and they hide it well. Love your collection of bikes and I will post up once I chose between 2 stroke or air cooled
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote