View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2015, 05:45 PM   #189
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
The Gen2 EX500's suspension is pretty similar to the NewGen's. On paper, the 500 forks have slightly better numbers, but I'm not sure how much difference there is in reality. If you don't like the look of the 500 forks, you should be able to use NewGen forks, or maybe even swap the NewGen lowers onto the 500 forks (not sure exactly which parts of the forks contribute to the different numbers).

The NewGen/300 has a slightly improved swingarm over the 500. It's also the proper width for the 250 frame, while the 500's is 7mm wider. Other than the width at the pivot point, the NewGen and 500 swingarms are pretty much interchangeable, just a few minor differences with accessory brackets.

Since there was mention of the PreGen sprocket not lining up with the 500 engine, it might be worth swapping to a 17" NewGen/500 setup at the same time (since those two are pretty much identical). It might avoid some placement issues, while also giving you access to better tire selection.

Personally, I think I would only ever do this to get the looks of the NewGen for my 500. The 500 is only about 30lb heavier than the 250 (maybe, I'm seeing differing numbers). According to Matt's old posts, the 500 engine is about 30lb heavier than the 250 engine. So by swapping the 500 engine into the 250, you've just made it weigh the same as the 500 anyway (or fairly close). The suspensions are pretty similar. There's more room on the NewGen for shocks with bigger bodies, but they're a lot more similar than they are dissimilar. It just seems like a lot of work to end up with something pretty similar to just a stock 500, other than the looks. If you want PreGen looks with a 500cc engine, the Gen1 500 is quite similar in looks to the PreGen (as opposed to the Gen2's mid-90's restyling). It even has the 16" wheels, and even more old-fashioned goodness with a rear drum brake.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote