View Single Post
Old July 6th, 2019, 08:18 AM   #29
fastfrank
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 1999 ZRX1100, 1983 GS1100ES, 1978 KZ750 Twin, 2013 GW250

ZRX twists and turns

So, the ZRX has taken some interesting and frustrating twists along the way... apparently there was some white silt that wasn't completely cleaned out of the tank (even after a week of prep, and gas flushes), that ended up causing flooding on #3, and left a small pool of stuff in each carb's float bowl. I had even used a 40 micron inline filter, so this stuff is really small. It can be blown away like a fine powder. The jets actually don't look bad, but there is still cleaning to do.

Looks like a carb re-re-build is in order - BUT...

I have an "extra" set of larger 40mm carbs from a ZX11, and just happened to also have a set of cams from the same big Ninja.

I have already swapped the cams in (making plenty of mistakes along the way), I've installed the 40mm carbs, and I've adjusted valves while doing the cams.

I decided to coat the tank to avoid more carb issues, and went with the 3-part Bill Hirsch product. You end up with a very durable vinyl surface inside.
I need one more day to let it cure/dry, and then the tank goes back on.

I'm happy to say that the bike is running really well, on the stand with an IV drip. I got the carbs synced up (actually the bench sync was dead-on), but now I'm troubleshooting a fan problem - likely nicked a wire while doing the cams (I know they are all plugged back in).

I should be back on the road in about 2 days - can hardly wait. I'm also looking forward to seeing how it performs now - on paper, it should be making about 135 HP (not that I really need it these days). As a rider, I'm only half-fast these days, anyway.

I guess the moral of the story is:

1) always go all the way when prepping a tank
2) take advantage of downtime to make it better and faster (lemons...)
fastfrank is offline   Reply With Quote