View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2020, 06:11 PM   #227
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

This final trip of 2020 had to be to Palmer. Tony's Track Days had a 3 day event at the beginning of September and I was there! I also bought a GPS track timer to see whats really going on out there. My Dunlops were fairly new but I was concerned they would not last the weekend. I pre ordered some DOT track Pirelli's from the track tire guy but wanted to start the trip on my worn but known Q3+'s. My first day was good with knee down for real several times on several sessions and the tires were getting thinner. I had only managed to gently scape my knee slider since the crash and steering issues. Unfortunately the lap timer was experiencing issues but luck put the guy who assembles them in the garage next to me. I cant thank Ben enough, although he had issues with both his bikes, he still not only tried to fix it at the track but took it home and repaired it for me! Talk about customer service!!!. Once the timer was working things got crazy with me hitting 1:58 lap times by the end of day 2! I had the Pirelli's installed the morning of day 2 and what a difference between the Q3+'2 and these Pirelli's. Dunlop uses a much stiffer carcase than Pirelli which led to some pumping in the rear of my bike early on. I still went faster but the bike felt squishy in the rear even though I was using the recommended air pressures provided by tire guy Mike. Mr Fist @adouglas suggested having the suspension guy take a look at my setup. You cant reject good advice from good friends so off to the Computrac truck I went. I found out that the rear shock had 0 compression dampening dialed in!!!!!!! No wonder the rear felt squishy with a softer tire on there! $45 dollars later and I was ready to really ride this bike.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote