View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2023, 09:00 AM   #9
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Motorcycle.com has obtained vehicle identification number information submitted by Kawasaki to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has the ZX-4RR (listed under its model code of ZX400SP) as producing just 42 kW, or 56.3 hp. Whether that’s with or without ram air matters little, as prospective American customers may be disappointed to know the ZX-4RR is down more than 25% from the European spec.
It seems weird to me that they could sell a 16k-RPM ZX-6R, but have to limit the ZX-4RR's same 16k-RPM by 25% due to noise ordinances. You'd think they'd just slap on a bigger, uglier, more restrictive muffler to cover that.

That same chart shows the EX400 at 36kW (48hp). I know it's not just about pure power numbers, but you're paying 83% more for 17% more horsepower. EX400s with exhaust, airbox mods, and the tune to match (stock engine) are dynoing at 53hp. The ZX-6R for only $1,000 more has 2.2x the power.

If the posted numbers are accurate for the final product, that seems like a huge letdown. Maybe there's a switchable street/track mode, or intermediate license setup, or something...

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote