View Single Post
Old April 23rd, 2014, 07:12 PM   #15
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Do you have any mechanical skills? Are you actually interested in this stuff?

Red flag for me is that you haven't paid any attention to the bike. I get the whole "hypothetical" thing about maintenance... surely some has been done and you're just trying to be careful. But if you haven't even looked at the thing in the (short) time you've been riding, well....

Do you even have tools? Not meaning to be a d*ck but the tone of your questions suggests you might not.

Prepping for a 500-mile trip is really little more than check the pressures and fluids and go ride.

If you really do want to do the top-to-bottom thing, short of valve adjustment, then:

- Change oil and filter.
- Remove, clean and oil air filter.
- Check clutch cable.
- Check all rubber hoses for signs of age (shiny, hard, cracked)
- Change brake fluid (which means bleeding), check brake hoses and pads.
- Clean, adjust and lube chain.
- Thoroughly inspect tires (meaning get them off the ground, spin the wheels and look at the whole tire).
- Check all your lights to make sure everything works.
- Overall condition inspection... put a wrench (or at least a hand) on every bolt you can reach. Stuff vibrates loose, you know.
- Do a general cleaning. Dirt and grease hide things.

Doing all this thoroughly and correctly is one pretty full day of maintenance if you're already familiar with the bike and have all the tools on hand. If you're not handy or need to go out and buy stuff, budget two days. If you want to do valve adjustments and have never done it before, budget a full day just for that. It can all be done faster... but it's better to take your time and make sure you're doing it right.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote