View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2019, 07:32 PM   #51
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Last weekend was SCCA Time Trial Nationals! I was second to last in my class, nearly last overall, and IDGAF because I had a f***ing hoot doing it. I raced on a track I'd never seen, met new friends, and got to see drivers of all shapes and sizes all enjoying the same thing I do.

First off, anyone who hasn't been to National Corvette Museum Motorsports Park in Bowling Green, KY, go check it out! Unlike most racetracks I've been to so far, this one is only 5 minutes from actual civilization, which means even if you choose to camp onsite like I did, you can still get your Starbucks in the morning. It's also one hell of a track. 23 turns in 3.7 miles and it's probably the best fluid balance of a power track and a momentum track that I've had the pleasure of being on (I've been told that the grand course at VIR is similar in this respect).

It's 6+ hours from where I'm at in Western NC, so I borrowed my buddy's trailer and drove the truck there. Worth it.

This one was a huge learning experience for me. This is a highly technical track and it's been a minute since I've been on track. This was also the first time I have ever attempted to compete on a track that was brand new to me. I think I'll need to go try some new AutoX courses for getting better at being fast out of the gate... it took me entirely too long to figure out the line and get the speeds up everywhere. Oh well, enjoy my "fast" lap of 2:50.197, which felt pretty quick, but I guess isn't. Looking at my mistakes and the times of other drivers, I think I have an easy 5 seconds to drop without changing anything but my driving. Tires are easily another 5-10, and some suspension improvements would likely get me more confidence which will probably do more for my consistency than adding actual speed, but the added camber of some lowness would be appreciated as well.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Also, for anyone who has a Miata and wants to keep their coolant temps in check, my 949 radiator and reroute seem to be doing the trick just fine. The intake temps on the other hand... here's a little OBD data I recorded. Ambient conditions were in the 90's and coolant temps were well controlled at 205 F, with only a couple spikes to 207 or so; and this is with Mazda coolant, not water+waterwetter!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3926.jpg (90.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg temps.jpg (37.3 KB, 46 views)
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote