Old November 15th, 2021, 09:57 PM   #44
SuspectPage3
ninjette.org member

Name: Chinmay

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
... any way... running good then running bad is a symptom of water in the fuel
and it's a easy fix.... when in doubt turn the screw next to the small black drain line on the float bowl of the carburetors... drain everything out... and it should stop draining because the motor is not running... you don't have to take those screws out just loosen them about 2 or 3 turns is all... then tighten them back up. ( don't leave them like that or you'll forget them !)
Another thing I like to do is get the motor running and rev it to about 3,000 RPM and put your hand over the throat of one carburetor....
then take it off when the RPM's drop to about 2000 RPM... and do that again to the other side... this sucks all the junk out of the carburetor along with any water that is lingering in there...
this is only do-able if you have the boots and air box all disconnected because you can't put your hand over the back of the carb if their on there
doing that will also help show up a fuel supply problem as it sucks alot of gas out of the carb and it will take a few seconds to recover ...if it takes a minute or two to recover then you definitely have a fuel supply problem !!!!
(replace the petcock with one that doesn't have that stupid vacuum line ! )
my 2 coppers
Bob......
Hi, I am not that savvy with the lingo and parts itself. Could you please point this out in a picture for me, so I can what exactly I am doing here and I will try the testing. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post

@SuspectPage3
Does your tank ever make noise like a moan or whistle when it sits?

Yes, it did a few times here and there. I didn't know where the sound is coming from? Reading all of the replies here makes me think yes it was that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
were talking about TWO different things now right?

1. clogged tank-vent causing vacuum in tank. This is not binary all-or-nothing issue. It's possible to have partially clogged vent, which still vents enough for adequate petrol flow. Mine hissed and squealed for years before I fixed it, but was always able to start and run bike normally regardless. One simple and easy test is riding with cap open. OP reports this made no difference. OP also has not reported any hissing or whining from tank. So we can assume tank-venting is not issue in this case.

Which is our final diagnostic test. If his petcock flow-rate is measured to be sufficient, only conclusion left is dirty and clogged carbs.
Hi Danno, Please see my attached pics, see if that helps. The filter seems dirty enough to me, not sure if it's dirty enough to make bike sort of die here and there. Also, the green vent (with white arrow pic) had all sort of gunk in it, I tried to remove it (and may have pushed some inside by accident )

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post

Also time 30-seconds flow. How much petrol did cup collect?
I could do this test as I dont have the vacuum thing, and I looked up on local bike shops it was $250~ LOL, so I abandoned the idea and went next stage of opening the petcock assembly!

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...=en_AU&start=6

Is this the right thing I was looking up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
My 2008 Ninja 250 was brand new when ... as soon as I left and a couple blocks later I sputtered out at a stop light.

The other time was after I blasted up the interstate.... and tank I sputtered out at a stoplight a few blocks away.
Yes, this sounds like how mine dies too, it usually more so does it when stopped at traffic light and about to take off. Not so much when continuously riding and revving it hard!

@ ALL - Thank you for all your help, it's overwhelming that you all are trying to help. I will try and do as much fixing as I can and keep you all posted! Please see my pics and see if that answers any of the questions? Or if it helps guide me to right step may be

PS: Can someone identify the small ring left behind? I found this after above DIY, it is size of 10mm wrench and it's metal and slight bent already. Would my bike notice this missing or can I get away with it for now :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG1.jpg (63.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211116_075517.jpg (55.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211116_075603.jpg (78.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211116_083710.jpg (80.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211116_083816.jpg (142.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG2.jpg (109.2 KB, 5 views)
SuspectPage3 is offline   Reply With Quote