Thread: Carb woes
View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2022, 05:44 PM   #155
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL Danno my petcock leaks in a good flow not just a slow drip....
if my floats stick I'm screwed ! I gott'a fix that !
in my experience the small of gas from the oil is not uncommon and not a cause for alarm but it does denote "caution is needed" ! if that smell doesn't "burn off" with a few short runs, change the oil and find out why gas is getting into the oil !
I had one bike that when the carbs float stuck it filled up the air boc which was piped directly into the crankcase .... which I thought was uderly stupid beyond words.... but I realised why they did that and just moved up the "breather hose" to a location on the side of the airbox and that cured the problem
that bike always had the problem of the floats sticking ! I cleaned it a thousand times and a few weeks later it would stick again and empty the tank if I forgot to turn off the fuel.... I learned real quick to turn off the fuel believe me ! LOL.....
eventually I got an in line filter for it and that more or less cured the problem
...it was a old thrashed dirt bike not my daily rider so it was low priority
a stock DT1 250 Yamaha if I remember correctly i eventually got rid of the air box completely and put on a "Green weeny" if any of you are old enough to remember those air filters ! I loved those things fast and easy to clean
and your ready to go again ! man that was a long time ago.... alot of water has gone under the bridge sense that time !
.... I rode that bike from Vinton CA. to redding,ca 2 or 3 times one time in the dead of winter ! that was a cold ride..... just to get mom's car working for her ! she was totally messed up if her car didn't work ! so I rescued her several times !
the coldest ride I ever had was in Hamilton Montana riding a suzuki 100cc to work and back..... I damn near died of exposure ! i was so cold I had to have my wife's help to get off the bike when I got home.... and I said "Never again" -7 degrees is not good riding weather !
....the things we do for Money !
I hear that the Ninja will go into Hydraulic lock if the floats stick and the petcock leaks and there's not much you can do for that but tear into the machine and fix it ! when the cylinder fills with gasoline it won't compress
and you'll strip out the starter trying to start it..... so be aware of that !
later Bob.......