Thread: Carb woes
View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2022, 03:50 AM   #164
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

6 years ! wow I'ed say the weld job worked just great ! LOL ....
I've had some experience at making gears myself and it is a big task
the problem is I do not have a rotary table needed to do them... I made a gear out of aluminum for my Logan 920 lathe and it's still going... I had to make an indexer plate that attached to the mill vice to pull it off ... I spent hours making that thing ... but it works still after many hours of use !
i had to make my own cutter for the tooth profile as well that was a challenge ! I've been wanting to get a TIG welder so I can TIG silicone bronze onto gears as my lathe has 2 or 3 gears in need of repair and brazing is the best way to go other than replacing them .... but I haven't pulled the trigger on a Tig welder yet.... i don't know if my shakey hands can do it !
...if my oxy/accet set hadn't burned up in the fire years ago I would have brazed them already... but the only thing is left is a victor torch with no o rings and all the tips have no o rings and the hose was toast not to mention the regulators... so I have junk left but I saved it for parts , just in case ! LOL... I got a nice welding cart for the bottles though it didn't burn at all !
.... both bottles are scorched and would have to be tested it's probably better to use them as wood stoves or something ! LOL
personally pulling off making that one gear was probably a stroke of luck I doubt I could do it again.... but I needed one and I was too poor to afford a hundred bucks for a new one so I made one instead !
that lathe and the Triumph are my most prized possessions ! i don't think I'll ever sell either ! LOL
later !
Bob.......