View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2015, 12:22 PM   #39
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncrist1988 View Post
Something that I don't understand is why the OEM tensioner is failing in the first place, and this is bothering the heck out of me. The manual tensioner stops the clicking, yes, but it doesn't answer why this is happening in the first place.

I ordered new springs for the CCT and installed it. Right away the clicking goes away, but after several miles the clicking will slowly start to return. I let it go, for kicks, and it got to a point where it sounded like someone was chewing through my casing with a chain saw. I'd stop, reset the tensioner, and it would all go away again.

I checked the bearings and they are good and round. There are no nicks in the plunger rod. The oil had no debris in it.

So why is the OEM tensioner failing? What am I missing here?
Sorry to hear that the problem is still ongoing. Here's a thought:

After reading your most recent post (quoted above) I'm wondering, have you measured the Cam Chain length? The reason I ask is that the parts that make up the Cam Chain Tensioner system are designed to interface with a Cam Chain that falls within a very narrow specification for overall length.

And now, one of my overall motorcycle ownership beliefs:

In spite of the fact that all of our Pre-Gen EX250 engines come from the same manufacturing assembly line, they still end up having individual personalities, individual problems... some are better, seemingly bulletproof while others are worse, so problematic they're close to "lemon" status.

Some of these Pre-Gen engines just keep on going, mile after mile like the Energizer Bunny, while others fail. I'm sure that some of this is out of our (the owner's) control but there is one thing that can change an engine's overall "personality" for the worse and that is when the engine's oil is allowed to go too long between changes or if the engine oil is allowed to get too low. Just once in the engine's lifetime is enough to start the decline. And when you're a second or third owner you just never really know if that has happened to your bike.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote