Thread: Coaching
View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2016, 03:23 PM   #20
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Yes, I think that as well. Sometimes riders do stupid **** right in front of us that cause a crash and there is nothing you can do about it. However, i've learned that if you see sketchy riding DO NOT HESITATE to jump in front of the rider ASAP and pull them in. I've pulled in many riders to say very clearly, "you are going to crash if you keep that up." I back it up with solid riding tech and show them what to DO instead. Most people don't mind being pulled in for that, be firm, state what you saw and what they should do instead.

I love the smiles and seeing people improve. Coaching is amazing and well worth all the effort put in. Most people see the benefits of being a coach and not the long hours of work we put in studying our material, doing homework, riding, practicing on our own etc...long days but very rewarding.

That being said, 42 crashes plus 2 airlifts?! I've never heard of such a think! That is insane!!

Also, you said, "causally hinting to take it easy in the morning..." in your write up. I'd ditch the causally hinting and being stating very seriously the dangers of cold tires and how important it is to take it easy for the first few laps in the morning. I don't ever hint at things, I state them exactly as they are. Your tires are COLD, they take 2-3 laps to warm up, do it slowly, take it easy or you will crash. Make it serious because it is. Some things are important to state firmly, track rules, passing rules, etiquette, safety etc....

I hope you keep posting about your coaching experiences. As I'm sure you realize, coaching is near and dear to my heart! I love it and love talking about ***
I agree that these things need to be stated firmly as well, the casual hinting was in addition to outright telling them. We put the idea to take it easier in their head, then reinforced it in the riders meeting. The idea behind it was to reinforce what is covered in the riders meeting.

I'm looking into getting a faster bike for coaching so I can more easily jump in front of people when it's necessary to slow them down or to pull them aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
I hope you instill some change with them Ben, i know you'll love the free track time though
I plan on doing what I can to make each day as safe and rewarding as possible for everyone who is riding. It's way more than just the track time