View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2017, 06:53 PM   #14
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
To find out if you might need a fork brace, stand in front of a motorcycle and clamp the front tire between your knees. Then wiggle the handlebar back and forth with a fair amount of force, watching the fork tubes. If you can wiggle the bar while keeping the tire still, you're twisting the fork tube as a pair. A good brace will stiffen this up a lot. A well made fender bracket will also.

Since it started out as a dirt bike, my little DT100 didn't have a fender mounded on the sliders, and I could twist the tubes a lot. I made a very effective brace that increases the rigidity of the assembly so that it moves maybe 1/4 of the amount it did without the brace. My H2, with its steel fender and fender bracket, is relatively stiff without an additional brace.

Here's the simple one I made for the DT100, that mounts to the previously empty fender bosses: (recognize the caliper?)
Thanks. I get it. I don't think I push my Ninja hard enough to be concerned about it. I will say the Ninja has a very stout steel brace holding up the ABS fender. I suppose one could sister two steel front fender support braces together and have a pretty decent fork brace.

No, the caliper doesn't look familiar.

Bill