Old January 27th, 2020, 02:02 PM   #13
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
I take it video shot with choke fully off.....how about adding some choke till RPM's rise...any improvement in throttle response with application?

Does the bike behave as others under choke when cold? Able to reach higher RPM?

Can you review the conditions under which the bike went from normal to failure? Its certainly been awhile. If I remember...it was immediate, no?
no on reaching higher rpm. maybe 6 at best. symptons started on devils whip in march 2109. 3 hours into the ride it started acting like i had no idle. mid/top end fine. since i was so far from homebase i elected to push on. only issue was
idle control. i turned up idle and finished the whip. on way home outside spartanburg. bike started to die on interstate, total loss of power(seize) i thought fuel delivery, water in tank, or ignition. limped to a truck stop, pulled tank and fairing. replace inline fuel filter, verified petcock working, changed plugs. guy i met went to parts store and got me some sea foam. i put some in fuel line and tank. test road it and it worked fine(including idle) got back on the road. 1.5 hours later near columbia i had to slow down due to traffic and bike went into same no power hestitation issue, sometimes wide open throttle would clean it up. topped off gas tank and put rest of seafoam in. ran fine again for about 2 hours, soon as i came off of mains problem came right back. made it home. next day pulled carbs, found bad diagram. ordered a new one. installed it. started it up and same effect. erratic idle and would not accept any throttle. i contacted you in jun/jul and sent carbs to you. you found some minor issues(float level)? but nothing major. reinstalled carbs, no change. i talked to you some more on wiring, ignition. problem started with stick coils, so i installed with stock coils. all coils stick and stock ohmed fine. replaced ignitor with known good one from danno's race bike. no effect same issue. compression test good 170 psi on both cylinders. airbox removed and pod filter put on for easy access. tried stock and aftermarket gas gap. no change.
swapped batteries with new one. no effect. valve clearance checked, all good.
swap plugs to stock. noticed#1 cylinder was rich with fuel on it. #2 normal. intake boots checked/good
vent line on carb clear. i had poured out gas after that ride and put fresh in.
what causes that slide flutter? is that a clue that cylinder is loading up?