View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #1
Trubin
Easy Rider

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Angry $600 mistake and how to avoid it.

Just spent intense 2 days in a nerve-racking situation. What happened? Simple, I lost my only key to my ninjette.

If you only have only 1 key to your bike, make a copy right now.

What happen was,

while I was trying to figure out on what to do, My bike was towed by police and I was slapped with a ticket and a tow charge, totaling $300. At the pound I called an onsite locksmith who said he'll make a key to the bike in an hour wanted to charge me $300 After I got the bike from the pound at 11pm I couldn't move anywhere. The locksmith was working on the key from the gas tank and was unsuccessful turns out gas tank only has 5 out of 6 notches and he failed making the last notch after 5th attempt and hours of going at it he gave up at 5 am and left me at my bike. I chained my bike to the pole on the top to my steering column, so that it would be hard to use bolt cutters. I slept in my car outside the tow pound next to my bike. Woke up at 8 AM and saw 3 police officers trying to tow my bike again. One of them holding a grinder to cut my chain. I explained the situation but they ended up giving me a ticket for not having a licence plate on my bike $65. I finally called my dad and told him what happen. He helped me get a van. When I got back with the van I needed a hand to lift the bike into it. Asking for help from the police impound and all I got back was a speech on liability, insurance and possible health related accidents... not to mention how I should always have a licence plate "at all times". "Yes sir, OK, I understand, but can you please help me?" Anyways I got the bike loaded up thanks to local joggers and a good buddy of mine who came over during his lunch break. I got it back home safely and parked in the garage. I cant ride it but at-least its safe.
for now my options are:
DIY Replace all the locks (ignition, gas tank, rear seat) $250
Take out ignition and go to a different locksmith (quote) $100

I never had the metal tag on the second key, Manual is clean (no code written), I called dealers and they don't have my key codes on file. If anyone been in a similar situation like this let me know whats the best solution.

Moral of the story:
If you only have only 1 key to your bike, make a copy right now.