View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2022, 11:00 AM   #42
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

when a bolt starts to strip using a 6 sided socket that is slightly too big it rounds off the corners of the nut and balls the metal up into the flat of the next
segment on the nut many times this will hold the socket on real hard and the only way to get it back off is to either strip the nut completely or go back the other way and try to tighten it again and get back to a flat on the nut.... now there's still metal in the flats and between the socket making it jammed on there quite hard but from that position ( loose on the nut) you can usually wiggle it till it comes off.... the problem here is there is no room to wiggle it
so you'll just have to spend an hour with the extension on it trying to get the thing loose.... not being able to get the extension on the socket is because the socket is on the plug too far try to pull the socket out 1/4" and jamb a screw driver in there and keep the socket from going any further in the hole... use it like a wedge ....once you get the extension back on the socket then remove the screwdriver wedge and try to pull the socket out of there
if I remember correctly I just used my automotive 5/8" deep spark plug socket to remove both plugs on my Ninja but I made sure I was using my good extension before I went deep into that hole and the plugs were not real tight..... and I had no trouble at all.
if you can't get the socket to come up a little to clear the spark plug tip then you'll have to bust it and like you I do not like that idea of porcelain fragments in the engine...but they should be contained in the socket as long as the plug stays in the socket coming out !
don't beat yourself up too bad everyone makes mistakes ! that's part of the game ...learning from it is what it's all about !
Yes get some deep 6 sided metric sockets ! although to get one thin walled enough to go in there may be a task in itself.... I have a hundred old honda tool kit sockets for removing sparkplugs that are thin walled but i only use them under duress as I don't like pressed out sheet metal tools at all.
1st task is to get the socket up off the head so the extension will fit on there fully !!!
Bob......