View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2020, 12:27 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi Ethan, I don't think you want to rebuild... Compression readings are good for gauge with bleed-valve at gauge-end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawinoob217 View Post
  • I know that I'm definitely burning oil. When I go to change the oil as well, I smell a good bit of gas with it.
Gas in crankcase has nothing to do with burning oil. First gas-smell is due to leaking petcock that drips petrol when bike is stationary. And non-sealing float-valves allow bowls to fill up and drip petrol down carb-throats into engine. Which then seeps into crankcase.

Actual oil-burning would result in acrid exhaust smell and blue-smoke out tail-pipe. And oil-levels dropping quickly over time with constant topping-up needed.

Quote:
  • If I leave the bike alone for about a week and then go to start it, it can take an obscenely long time to start (40 seconds). When doing so it steps through three stages of starting.
    1. Starter running with no combustion.
    2. Starter running with some combustion that will not sustain if you let go of starter.
    3. Bike actually starting.
  • Large throttle blips from idle after the bike has warmed up can use it to lug and kill the engine.
  • Overall slower than expected RPM climb when revving.
Again, completely full float bowls overfilled with petrol will meter out too much fuel and prevent starting. Liquid petrol does not burn, it needs to be vapourised. You have way too much darn fuel in cylinders and it takes A LOT of cranking and engine-revolutions to blow it all out until mixtures are more optimal. That's also why you have disparity between cylinders on compression-test, one of them has more liquid petrol in it than other. Would be better to do compression-test after completely warming-up engine.

Your main issue is most common ailment that inflicts these bikes: dirty carbs and petcock needing completely rebuild and restoration. Takes only one week and couple hundred bucks to send to ducatiman for expert refurb service. Do search here for "ducatiman clean carbs" to see tonnes of others with similar symptoms. And notice before and after reviews.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote