View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2013, 07:44 AM   #3
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

Thanks Hernan!

I agree! Many of the techniques are a bit "overkill" for the street; however, I found some of the little things can make a big difference even for street riding.

For example, keeping the ball of your foot on the pegs instead of hooking your heels on the peg. This allows for better distribution/control of weight on the bike.

Another interesting thing was your body/head position relative to the center-line of the bike in a turn. It doesn't have to be super exaggerated, like it's done on the track, but I think shifting your body, properly, even a little bit towards the inside of a turn could works towards adding stability and control.

As I watch these videos that are geared towards track riding, I think to myself how I can implement the "spirit" of what is being said, by understanding the purpose of why they are being done, into my street riding.

Truth be said, another reason why full-blown track riding body positioning is overkill is that the Ninja 250 is so small it simply doesn't require the same amount of effort to lean over the bike, and thus requires much less re-positioning of the body IMO.

From my understanding, one of the main purposes of "hanging off" a bike is to pull the bike inwards, against the gyroscopic forces, during a turn. Even on the track I don't think you'll need to hang off the 250 much simply because of its weight and lower potential speed (less gyroscopic forces pulling the bike to the outside).

Then again, I may be over (or under) analyzing things like I tend to do.