View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #18
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
ask @rojoracing53 about his headlights. He has dual retrofit in his, I don't think he's mentioned power issues.

HID's draw more current (more power at same voltage= more current) at start up, but they're always going to use the same voltage that your bike supplies. However, they use less current during steady state, which is how they're able to only require 35W at 12V. P=IV. The headlight relay on the bike won't power the headlight until after you've let off the starter button and the engine is turning, so it's really a non-issue anyway.

If you do want to turn them off, you'll need to run the wires through a relay that's good for whatever amperage the fuse in your HID harness is rated for, and control the relay trigger with a toggle switch somewhere. You won't be able to run the power for the lights through a switch, unless you get a really heavy duty switch, which will cost you $$$

EDIT: I think Red5 is right, you should be able to use a toggle switch on the trigger wire going to the stock headlight relay without worry of too much current. I'm personally not a fan of cutting into the stock relay though. Too much money if you mess up.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote