View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2023, 03:57 PM   #56
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Gordon: the bike was stored INDOORS in the shop leaning on it's side stand
However it is not a heated shop and it got down close to zero degrees in there
I put the bike in the shop when the weather this last winter started to turn Sower, yes it did get wet a few times in the rain but almost all that time it was in the shop under cover but cold...below freezing most of the time in the 20 degree area.
Before I parked it and tore it apart to do the valves and pull the carbs to send them to you for a good cleaning the bike acted very cold blooded hard to get started most of the time it would start right up on choke but you had to keep the choke on for 5 minutes just to keep it running long enough to get warm.
once warm it would take throttle well and run very well at all RPM's
Yes this does denote that the lean spot has always been present that is why
it's so hard to warm up but once warm it was fine and took throttle without a bog... that was not the case after the cleaning it would not take throttle even after warming up.... so yes fine tuning looks like it must be done to get the bike to run perfect .
I think shimming the needles with 1 shim and lowering the mains to 95 is in order.... that should give me a starting point.
the bike leans fairly good on it's side stand too Gordon I had to cut it down several times to get the lean right and to stay upright in the strong winds we have.... stock lean is not enough up here in these winds it will blow over !
I'm guessing but a 35deg to 40 degree lean on the side stand ( all my bikes have that lean due to the wind! 60&70 mph winds are normal here.)
I do have the stock muffler but it really is a big boat anchor and I do not want to put it back on because of it's size and weight.
...upon doing a bunch of reading it seems shimming the needle is a very common practice on these Ninjas.... they must be very lean off idle to warrant that.... kind'a odd really !
so all the time I have had this bike it has had trouble just off idle now it's much worse.... I'ed say it's time to fix that !
after it's been running in the past for about 3 minutes if you tried to give it throttle with the choke off it would sog a bit and then take off once good and warm it would not do that.... that's not right and a symptom of the problem I have now.
it may very well be, that besides the float problem and too rich of jetting
that all the bike needs is fine tuning...

Bob......