View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2019, 08:41 AM   #34
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Congrats! Very nice.

One suggestion - don't "baby it" too much. You don't need to rev it, just do plenty of long high-gear pulls (without bogging) to created combustion pressure (load) and seat the rings well.

At this point "break-in" time and requirements aren't what they used to be (according to my race-engine builder friend), but load is still a good idea. Revs don't accomplish it.

He also recommends a quick 1st oil change.
I'll change the oil at 50 miles, then five hundred for a couple times. I won't be following the book verbatim, but no crazy stuff. I've always broken in like I ride them. Hard but not abused.
My dad always followed the book, his brother ran the engine for all it had. Growing up my uncles dirt bikes was always a little faster. Even with the rider swapped, over the course of four different sets of bikes.
Due to oil being below the site glass I drained it as soon as I got home to see how low it was, with 1.1 miles it was already sliver colored.
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.