View Single Post
Old March 11th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #19
zeroth
weekend rider

Name: JC

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The sad truth is that if it hits anything solid at 40+ mph, and that solid item doesn't give, there isn't a helmet out there that will protect you from catastrophic head injury. The impact of most helmets hitting things is the helmet hitting the ground, which is more like a 6 foot fall, rather than a full-speed --> zero mph instant hit.
Great point, Alex! I've heard that more $$$ won't get you more safety, but your above point really drilled it into me: Helmets don't protect you from horizontal impact (i.e. 100mph or 200mph), they protect you from vertical impact (i.e. falling off the bike and hitting the ground). Now it really makes sense that $100 can protect you as well as $700.

Having a $110 HJC helmet as my first one really punctuates the point for me, as well. The lining is smelly now, and is nonremovable (at least not easily). It gets hot in there in the summer, with mediocre ventilation. There is no sun shade and wearing sunglasses inside the helmet is all but impossible. It's a plain white color.

So if more expensive helmets make you safer, it's only because you're more comfortable and can focus on (and see) the road better ... or because you'll be more likely to wear it every time you start up your bike!
zeroth is offline   Reply With Quote