View Single Post
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by athimmel View Post
I have been convinced by the experts that the helmet is something you should never skimp on. I was shown how some helmets meet the government standards, but don't go much higher. Arai is one that goes far beyond standards, though.

I was asked in a very straightforward manner: What is your brain worth to you? Is it worth a couple of hundred dollars more to make sure that if you do hit the pavement, that your brain stays protected? I bought an Arai at a very good price.
It's marketing, coupled with trying to guilt people into spending more for what they believe to be better protection. There's no science to it. There's no truth to it. Between my wife and I, we have 8 helmets in the garage right now, and 6 of them are Arais, so I certainly believe they are worth it for all of those other reasons listed in this thread. But believing that your head is safer in them than another certified helmet is just that, a false belief.

It's definitely worth the time to read this article from Motorcyclist Magazine about helmet safety. Some of their conclusions actually changed quite a bit about the Snell 2010 standard, to bring it more in line with the other helmet standards around the world.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote