Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
...........Not explicitly covered in TOTW2 (brief mention)
Scenario 2: Trail Braking... If the rider has not arrived at the corner entry speed at the turn in point, the steering input AND the remaining braking must be completed before a throttle roll can begin.
And...
It's fairly common for I/A group riders to trail brake deep in the corners on the track and especially while racing.
ASAP != Apex
Thanks, Chris; very interesting to me.
Please, correct my believes here.

What I don't get is the reason or motive for the stretched trail braking (as far as to the apex) that I see in many races.
Maybe a racing strategy to block passing?
:dunno:

If I understand it correctly, trail braking is a smooth transfer of loads on the front contact patch: easing on the load imposed by the front brake while the centrifugal load and lean angle grows higher, keeping the front suspension from bouncing up and the steering lighter.

If all that is true, then a stretched trail braking would be in conflict with the benefits of the "quick flick" technique, also explained in "ATOTW2", which are reducing lean angle and time that the bike is remaining leaned.

Rather than making the line/circle of the turn as broad as possible, the parabolic trajectory explained by SLOWn60 above, and the subsequent excessive lean angle around the apex, will be the result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trail brake vs Quick flick.jpg (35.9 KB, 3 views)
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote