Thread: Boots
View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2016, 07:08 PM   #9
Yamahawk
Chaplain

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 75 RD350 race bike, 82 XZ550RJ Vision, 81 XV920RH, 89 VTR250 Interceptor race bike, 06 Concours, 86 EX250E1

Cool! I also have an XV1000 engine and an extra XV920RH motor in the basement, and I am going to build the 920 with the top end from the Xv1000, and also the starter side of the 1000. I would like to pull the cams and send them to MegaCycle to have a nice road race grind done on them. 105RWHP is the end result! You CAN swap the starter side onto your XV920J model, without swapping the whole engine... but, if you want to, the engines should interchange. If the mounts don't happen to line up, which is unlikely... you can swap the cylinders, pistons, and heads... or keep your heads... and it should make a nice 980cc motor! I got the XV1000 motor in a swap, and it is very low miles, as there isn't a lip in the top of the cylinder from the rings. It had been in a garage fire, but the internals of the motor were in fine shape. The XV920's all have the extra pilot hole for the newer starter mechanism, and I have brand new gears along with the solenoid and side cover for the XV1000. They will all swap into my XV920, and will yours, also. Now, the XV750's are a different story... the early 81's do NOT have the hole machined for the new style starter. But, the 83's do... not sure if the XV750 from 82 does or not, but it may. Anyway, I will check out your build thread!
Charlie