View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2017, 12:31 AM   #4
Linkin
Down Under

Name: Linkin

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ZXR250C Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Yes, very cool bike. I wonder what was done to restrict the HP to 40. Sometimes it's something very simple, as opposed to different cams, for example.
Almost all of the 250cc inline 4's were restricted via different cams and different rev limits for 1993. For example the late FZR250R's only rev to 16,500 instead of 18,500. But that said the 40HP bikes are still great to ride and a bit less peaky, they make a tad more torque down low

On the Yamahas you can run an earlier cylinder head and cdi box to get 45HP back, as the bottom end is the same, I've done it.

On the Hondas you wire in a resistor to disable the 180KM/h limiter, and you can probably run an earlier cylinder head and cdi box as well.

The ZXR's however have different bore & stroke from the A to C models so I don't think it's possible to run an earlier cylinder head.

But really if you need more power you either spend a fortune on performance mods like bigger valves, port & polish, bigger bore/stroking etc or just buy a bigger bike.

I'd love to get an older kwaka 600 motor/loom and see if I can stuff it in the 250's frame
Linkin is offline   Reply With Quote