View Single Post
Old December 19th, 2017, 05:48 AM   #10
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkin View Post
My latest ride which I will keep until I get my full license next year. Another little 250cc inline 4 pot screamer, this one redlines at 19,000rpm.

There are A/B/C/D models for the ZXR250. A models are 1988-1991 and are 45HP motors. B models are a rare race spec version with different CDI, cams, carbs and a closer ratio box from 1st to 3rd gear. C models are 1993-2004, have 40HP and were made in both Japan and Malaysia. D model is just a C model with the B model race-spec bits. Due to Japanese law, you get funny things like "speed lights" that light up at 80KM/h (easy to fix, remove the bulb), 40HP/32KW restrictions from 1993 onwards, and some bikes have electronic/CDI limitation to 180KM/h.

Mine is a 1999 built in Malaysia as it has safety stickers in Malaysian and has made in Malaysia stamped all over its bits and pieces. I've also had it up to 200KM/h indicated on the speedo while at the track so I don't think its restricted, apart from being a 40HP motor.

Pictures of as it was when I got it. It needed a service including valve shim adjustment which I gone done at work, since I work for a motorcycle shop now I also got the timing chain and notoriously crap tensioner done (used a GPX250 one)

The carbs needed work (which I did at home) as there was a flat spot between 6k-8k RPM. The carbs have vacuum lines/vacuum fuel tap and the seals between each carb body are known to go brittle and fail. I replaced them, but I had to fight overtightened JIS screws (aka Japanesive phillips, but its not a phillips. If the screw head has a dimple, it's JIS and you need special JIS screwdrivers or you'll make a mess of the heads) to get the carbs apart.

After that I got an aftermarket exhaust, the stock one makes an incredibly dull wheezing, aftermarket much better

Link to original page on YouTube.

The plastic tubes on the tank are for the voltage reg/rec, which lives under the fuel tank. Mine had deteriorated so I got new ones, along with a new reg/rec

New rear tyre put on & balanced at work... fun fact... its an 18" rear rim, which limits tyre choice... I can potentially use a ZXR400 rim or ZR250 Balius rim which are both 17"

And just recently, some orange rim tape and ninja stickers to match the decals on the tank

DANG! I want one!

Bill