Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhickey12 View Post
I like to have my foot in position incase i need to hit it
"Hitting" the rear brake might not produce the result you're looking for. Do some homework on highside crashes.

Think about it... when you're under heavy braking, what's happening to the rear tire? It's unweighting, which means it's easy to lock. Locking the rear can be dangerous and lead to a highside as the rear locks, then regains traction.

Look at your front brake. Now look at your rear brake. Why is the front so much bigger? Why do supersports have two HUGE front brakes but one tiny rear brake? Which end of the bike do you think does most of the work? In short, where is the vast majority of your braking power concentrated?

Next time you ride, try stopping using only the rear brake. What happens? (Hint: Leave LOTS of room.)

Now try doing a similar stop using only the front brake. What happens?

Do you think you can stop safely using only the front brake?

Are you aware that many track riders and racers use the rear brake seldom, if at all? Watch some racing footage... the rear tire is often OFF THE GROUND under heavy braking.

Bottom line: The rear brake is indeed there for a reason -- it settles the chassis and can shorten stopping distances somewhat -- but it should not be "HIT" as a rule.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote