View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #50
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhickey12 View Post
Interesting points man, so for slowing down into turns and slowing down softly when I have plenty of room(the only 2 times I'm using just the back brake), is it best to just use the front lightly? Or engine brake?
brake pads are cheap, engines are expensive

if you mess up your downshifts to use the engine to slow the bike down you can blow the engine.

therefore the front brake is where it's at, downshift as you're slowing down. Many times you don't need to brake before a corner but just roll off the gas a bit because you aren't going that fast. Just remember not to turn in and add throttle at the exact same time, that's begging for a lowside.

Head to the track sometime to really practice your skills with people who know how to teach you based off of what they see you doing (mid-ohio is the best for this that is remotely near you)

also sidenote: don't cover your rear brake, if you accidentally press it at the wrong time you're screwed and it also doesn't let you weight the peg properly. Cover the front instead with 2 fingers. I ride like that 75% of the time on the streets because it cuts down your reaction time significantly.