View Single Post
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #16
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlumjp View Post
What happened was we both looked right at each other and he stopped so I assumed he was not going to start moving again! I am aware of the horn situation on our bikes being nearly useless and I usually use the high beam trick when lane splitting, but not in this case...
What actually happened was that though he was appearing to look right at you in fact he was just looking in your direction for cars and not seeing any. He didn't see any motorcycles because he wasn't looking for any.

Flashing the high beams (note, not leaving them on steady, but just flashing them) is the best (and only one that even works) attention grabber I've used. Drivers equate flashing lights with police, and drivers almost always see the police.

On the lawyer deal, get a couple of consults, you'll have to pay a little but you don't have to actually hire one. A nice lawyer should be able to ballpark you a figure you should expect for the different categories. One will be for property damage (bike and gear) and one will be for medical. Pain and suffering/aggrevation/loss of time/pay for doctor appointments, etc, may either be covered under medical or another category. The latter category is where the meat of the settlement will be. Likely for the bike and gear you'll be offered maybe 3-4k at most.

That's why I suggested getting a lawyer, preferably one through AIM. The insurance co may just wave $5-6k under your nose with the hope you'll take it and run, whereas with representation the final amount may actually be 40K. A friend of mine got run off the road by a texter last year on his Ducati, totaled the bike and banged him up though not as bad as you, he ended with with over $40K for the final. The insurance co's first offer was barely enough to cover the bike and actual medical expenses to date of the offer. That's when he got a lawyer. Didn't have to sue, either, the insurance co recognized that they were now dealing with someone who knew how things really worked.

Get a couple of legal consults then decide which way to go from there, that's the best advice I can offer.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote