View Single Post
Old August 27th, 2013, 07:42 AM   #21
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 250R SE (sold 5/8/13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackliu239 View Post
But going from 40mph to 50 is very very hard. Even after I twist the throttle all the way in around the 4th gear, the RPM still goes up very slowly from 6-8, I sometimes have to downshift 1 gears for the RPM to go up to 7-8, then up shift again, but even with all of this. So far I still have not gone more than 50 mph yet. I'm sure if I will eventually get it up to 60+ mph, but I feel like that is going to take a long time to happen.
I'm not sure that your original question was answered definitively - this is not normal. This sounds nothing like an issue with you not being in the powerband, and everything like poor ignition.

Can you define slowly - how many seconds does it take to accelerate from 40 to 50?

If you're on the flat and go WOT there should be absolutely no need to have to downshift to accelerate - my (admittedly newgen) Ninja had enough pull in top gear to get me from 40 to 50 without requiring a downshift.

As was mentioned you need to check airflow, spark and fueling - any of these can cause a power loss.

As for needing the choke to start, my Ninja always needed the choke, no matter what the ambient temperature was - and I often had to give it gas right away. I would treat these as 2 separate issues and worry about the poor acceleration first - but again, please define "slowly" for us.
Chuffmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote