View Single Post
Old July 11th, 2023, 03:31 PM   #22
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I Understand that logic Alex ! the problem is if you built a decent generator powered by a 2 cyl or 4 cyl engine and ran that generator at peek putput all the time around 3500 RPM if memory serves me correctly ....
there would be no need to throttle up or down the gasoline engine ....just use the electric motor for driving, their more effecient at that anyway.... it's the charging that is the problem...so just make it where the car charges itself....
if it's driving down the road it's charging ! .... now when you get home it may have to set for 10 minutes to top off the charge depending on how they screw up the deal....
I almost built a 24 volt VW electric car back in the 1980's I saw a artical where a guy found a 24v forklift motor and put it in a VW beetle added the bac seat full of 12vdc batteries and he had a electric car that could go 20 miles on a single charge..... he then put a small B&S generator in the back where the electric motor was at , he made a rack on top of it.... and re wired the generator to charge the 24volt system .... he would drive to work fire up the generator and let the batteries charge for a few hours and then wander back out and turn it off.... so it was fully charged for his trip home
as horribly inefficient as his setup was it was revolutionary back in the day
but not a single car company has even offered a gas powered generator as an accessory with the electric car ! WHY not ???? I would use it up here if I had an electric car because I would not pay the charging station the $50.00 they want just to charge your car ! ...
a small generator can be made to be quite efficient on fuel but that has only been a modern innovation like the honda generators or the Ohan models.
the old generators would eat you out of house and home.... 5 gallons of gas for running it 8 hrs is not my idea of efficient. that is what my current HF generator does ! .....your better off feeding a car motor than the generator
but with a good generator that can be quite a savings 4 hrs run time for a gallon of gas (+-) ain't bad at all !!!
the government will have to step in and make mandatory that the charging stations can only charge so much before electric cars are viable ...at least up here .... these people are greedy .... they charge you a sir charge plus the amount of electricity you use that they charge you double for....
so don't leave your wallet home when travelling with an electric car through northern California !
I would guess that an electric car would Double or maybe tripple the cost of gasoline..... and at $5.00 + a gallon of gas at the moment that is down right scary ! !!!!! .....

the whole primus is just trying to find another way to seperate you from your money ! environmental concerns brought up mainly to get the people to think another way so we can charge you more !
oh well.... such is the world we live in today ! ya can't win for the loosin' !
LOL
Bob.......