Old May 5th, 2018, 06:44 PM   #6
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Mike, there's nothing wrong with learning the way you are. I did a similar thing in 1978 when there was no MSF course. I practiced doing figure eights the hard way across my street, stopping, starting, etc., in preparation for the skills test that MD gave on a closed course. It worked out well for me.

My daughter took the MSF basic course and told me she learned a ton. That seemed to be proven when we rode together right after the course. The problem was that even though she had handled the motorcycle very well all day, both days, she got very anxious during the test part of the course at the end of the last day, and rode slightly outside a chalk line, instantly failing her. The immediate response from the instructors was "just sign up again". Sure, we thought... at about $200 a pop in our case, just sign up again. I would have thought that there might be at least a discount for repeating the course in a case like that, but there was not. I'm glad she took the course because I think it really helped her skills, but she has continued to work hard at improving since then, going to the supermoto track with me several times, and putting many miles on the 250.

So instead, she took the skills test at a NC test center and passed, and has been riding for two years since then. We just got back from the week long 2-stroke meet at Deals Gap, where she did an excellent job on the Dragon, as well as 100+ mile rides with me. I'm going to buy a few of the pro photographer photos of her, but haven't gone through all of them yet. Here's one of their proof photos she found last night. Before you think she's a maniac, know that she was probably doing about 30 mph in that shot.
What happened with your daughter is what I'm worried about. I get very anxious having to do things in front of a group. I'm not worried about developing the skills I need to ride my bike, but being able to perform those skills with the pressure of being in front of people watching my every move.

It doesn't help my anxiety to know that the MSF took the class away from all the dealers in my area and now it's only offered through the state. Those classes are shorter and they don't exactly get glowing reviews. I've been told they just try and shove people through and if you fail, too bad so sad. I was more than willing to pay the extra money to take the extended class through State 8 ($300 vs $50) to have the piece of mind knowing that the class would be done with instructors that gave a crap about new riders.
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.