View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2018, 06:15 AM   #9
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

To bad you have had such a rough time. I think some states do a much better job then others. New Jersey costs money, but PA has a great, almost free, state approved course.

Hang in there. Keep honing your riding skills. One difficult thing about riding a motorcycle on the road is the overload of data. Keeping the bike upright, watching for idiots in front of you, on the sides, and behind. Maintaining proper distance to the vehicle in front of you. I read somewhere a majority of motorcycle crashes are caused by the bike running into the back of the car in fron to them. I have to constantly remind myself of this. I ride a bunch of different bikes, some can stop in a dime, but others you almost would be better off dragging your feet.

My son at 40 years old just started riding motorcycles. He mentioned the overload. I grew up riding bikes from a very young age and all of that became second nature. I also raced motorcycles. When I thought about it, yes you do have to process a ton of data.

I know this may sound crazy, but a ride on an interstate may help. You don't have to worry too much about someone pulling out in front of you. You can practice maintaing proper distance. Passing and moving in and out of traffic so as to not letting yourself get boxed in. You learn to look in the rear view mirrors to see vehicles over taking. If that is going to get boxed in safely pull in front of the overtaking vehicle and pass the guy in front of you. Play a little game trying not to have a vehicle in front of you and a vehicle along side of you at the same time. I like to set my cruise control and try to keep from getting boxed in. Sometimes if you are off on your rear view mirror vigilance you have to slowdown and let the vehicle pass you. Then start the game over again. I used to think a motorcycle was better off traveling a little faster then the traffic. Here in Florida that would mean riding close to 90-95 mph in the left lane and even then you are going to get passed.

Good luck and hopefully something will work you you.
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote