View Single Post
Old June 29th, 2018, 12:30 AM   #21
Zww1019
ninjette.org member

Name: Zak

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Nope, you need to confirm starter-relay is actually bad before replacing it. You'd be replacing a perfectly-working part with brand-new perfectly-working part and nothing will change. Your bike still wont' start because you haven't tested, measured and confirmed failed parts. Measure for +12v on yellow/red activation line going into relay when you push start-button.

1. IF there's power on that line AND relay doesn't click & power starter, THEN starter-relay is bad... however

2. IF there's NO power on starter-relay activation line, then you can't conclude that relay is bad. You've got switch-problem somewhere with series of switches starting from ignition-switch.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=312718

DID YOU MEASURE the kickstand switch and neutral switches? What resistance values did you get? Do the following tests and get numbers.

1. resistance between kickstand-switch connector terminals with kickstand UP and DOWN. What's the numbers?

2. resistance between neutral-switch and chassis-ground with bike in gear and in NEUTRAL. What's the resistance numbers?

3. resistance between clutch-switch connector terminals with clutch-lever OUT and SQUEEZED-IN. What's the numbers?

I went ahead and replaced the battery since that was having problems anyway.

I Checked voltage on yellow/red going into starter relay, no Voltage while pressing ignition or not (with key turned on). I did get 12.3V from the white wire going into the starter relay, and 12.3V bypassing starter relay. Also got 11V from the wires in the back of the ignition switch.

0.00ohm (or 0.L) from kickstand switch with kickstand up or down (1.2V).

0.00ohm (or 0.L) for clutch lever switch with clutch lever in or out

0.00ohm (or 0.L) from neutral switch when in gear or not. This one did fluctuate on Ohm a little before settling to 0.00Ohm after a couple seconds.

Edit:
I should mention that while all my dash lights work, and I can start my bike by jumping the starter solenoid, my headlights don’t turn on (even after replacing the fuse). I’m not sure if that helps at all
Zww1019 is offline   Reply With Quote