View Single Post
Old September 16th, 2017, 08:53 AM   #1
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Life on the road after the track

Partially inspired by the thread "Road riding after track days". I've got a slightly different take on it, with having been essentially forced off the road race tracks for medical reasons.

Sad story: For me these days, most of what I have left is road riding. This year I had to retire from the big tracks because I had heart surgery, leaving me on blood thinners for the rest of my life.

So, several doctors had long discussions with me about risk factors of all the fun stuff I want to do with the rest of my life. High speeds on the big tracks, technical mountain biking, cross country mountain biking, road bicycle riding, road motorcycling, triathlons, various types of bicycle racing, and riding at slower speeds at the kart track. We went into a lot of detail. There's risk in everything but we had to evaluate specifics and make some choices.

At the end of that risk discussion, everything made the cut except for riding on the big tracks, and I was told to stay away from downhill mountain biking on technical terrain - not that I get to do that ever in Wisconsin.

The doctors looked at some of my history on the tracks. Big tracks like Road America and Blackhawk Farms. In the course of 4 years on those tracks, 2 major crashes I have sustained the following injuries: 11 broken bones, most of them ribs, but 2 are arm bones and 2 are collar bones. Fractured pelvis, two sprained ankles, a concussion, and the doosie: a punctured lung.

In the course of 6 years at the kart track, 4 crashes with the only injury being a sprained thumb. Now in that other thread I mentioned, there was some discussion about how dangerous the kart tracks can be. And sure, there is danger everywhere. But the doctor approved medical consensus is that the risk is far less than at the big tracks, as is the average speed. I could still have a serious crash and die at the kart track, but the doctors worked with me to help decide where I should draw the line. I accept some risk because I sure as hell am not going to sit on the couch for the rest of my life.

But in my eyes, the riskiest of my remaining riding options is on the road - with grandmas who can't see over the wheel, texting teenagers, and soccer moms going out of their mind with a minivan full of kids. I managed to ride for 30 years without an accident on the road, but now my safety there is even more critical. I've always rode like I am invisible, and will continue to evaluate all risks. Deer, turkeys, gravel in corners, oil slicks and all the rest. My eyes can't stop going like this when I ride on the road.

So I got my Z125 for the kart track. And indeed it has been fun. I feel safe there for how much fun it is. I used to ride supermotos there quite a bit. However I believe a smaller bike like a Z125 or a Grom to be safer than a tall bike like a supermoto, simply because of what a high side is like. I don't think you will get launched quite as high or far on a bike where your butt is 2 feet off the ground as compared to a 38" seat height supermoto. Low sides at the kart track are no problem. Basically you slide on your butt for 2 feet, laugh, pick up your bike and keep going.

I sure miss the big track and all my old racing buddies though. I still hang out and help out in the pits when I can. Kart track and road riding for me from here on out.

Oh and I should probably change my sig. I sold my 300 race bike to a local buddy.

Has anyone else had to give up the track for any reason? I mean besides "I'm running out of money!"