View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:04 AM   #70
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Me being a jerk? How so? This is how our bantering started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
How about we do a test of rpm readings during legal (safer) speeds?

I've noticed at 6,000 rpm:
3rd gear = 30mph
4th gear = 40mph
Reasonable, correct? If you had ONE goal (rpm readings at certain speed). And there are two options of proving it (a safer vs a more risky option), as a skilled rider with many years of riding and countless track days, wouldn't you want another rider (the OP) to be as safe as possible? By doing a 30mph or 40mph rpm reading in 3rd and 4th gears respectively, we can help him determine if his speedo/tacho may be reading incorrectly or perhaps his clutch is slipping. If we can come to this conclusion with a 30 or 40mph experiment, why do we have to make him run 90mph?

Instead, this is how you responded
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
use a GPS to compare how accurate those are.

if i wanted to be safer, i wouldnt ride a motorcycle.
First of all, this isn't about YOU. Additionally, assuming riding a motorcycle is a given (since this thread is about top speed ON a motorcycle), wouldn't anyone want to ride as safely as he/she can?

That comment rubbed me the wrong way...but whatever. Life is short. Hence my firearm tinfoil hat response as a joke and my explanation of why I suggested the 30-40mph test instead of 90mph test.

I also responded with
Quote:
No need for a GPS. I hit a radar speed sign that reads out "your speed is XX". My speedo is relatively accurate for my needs. Off by 1-2mph at 30-40MPH.
Quote:
those radars are off 1-2 mph also.
Source? Link? How do you know what band (x, k, ka, etc) that particular radar uses (that’s in my neighborhood)?

Quote:
So that means my speedometer is spot on!!!!

.....or 10% off
You see my happy face and sad face? I’m all “chillaxing” here.

Quote:
that is +/- 1 or 2, you could be 4 mph off.
Of course you know my neighborhood well and you know that the radar's 2mph error is inverse to my speedo's error. But normally, if something is off, it isn’t off by mph. It’s an error by percentage. Notice that going 100mph and being off by 2mph is only a immaterial 2% error. However going 10mph and being off by 2mph is a massive 20% error.

Quote:
and just an FYI, Speed Limits are a suggestion of safe operation, there are times in the section of road labeled 75mph, that the safe speed may only be 40mph or if there is no one around for miles and miles and miles you can safely operate a vehicle at 100 at short bursts. hell in my area i have been on rides where i did not encounter anyone for 10 miles. those are the areas i go when i want to test speeds.
Thanks for the info. But.....
Quote:
if i wanted to be safer, i wouldnt ride a motorcycle.
So....what is it? I'm a tad confused. Do you want to be safe? Or not safe? I'm assuming you don't want to be safe from your statement above. I'm not sure what your point is there. You're telling me that if the speed limit is 65mph and we're in a state of emergency with 18" of snow falling, going 65mph isn't safe?! Wow, never thought of that myself. Thanks for pointing that out.
Quote:
instead of you being a jerk about it next time, maybe you can appreciate the things more skilled riders do and share with others.
Like what? Like this?
Quote:
...or if there is no one around for miles and miles and miles you can safely operate a vehicle at 100 at short bursts. hell in my area i have been on rides where i did not encounter anyone for 10 miles. those are the areas i go when i want to test speeds.
Ok. You skilled guys keep doing that. That's ok with me as long as my friends and family aren't on the same road you're on.

So....if you go out in public to do short 100mph burst runs and test your speeds on public roads.....what do you do on the track? You follow the speed limit and signal when you're entering corners?

Please tell me Mr. Skilled rider….I've never been on a track before. My mental picture is guys/gals with no mirrors, painter's tape on lights, water instead of coolant, riding in a fast pace in a controlled environment at the limit of traction. But since you seem to advocate testing speed in public, I assumed your track doesn't allow fast riding?

Quote:
I have been riding for 9 years and have had over 30 track days.
ME ME ME ME ME ME ME again?

Quote:
So please stop getting on your high horse and jumping to conclusions about things you dont know about.
If you advocate on breaking the law, I'll judge you.

Speaking about high horses….

Quote:
So please stop getting on your high horse ....
It seems like your horse and my horse are the same size. You have a blue horse. I have a red horse. Both with 250cc motors, no?

Quote:
....and jumping to conclusions about things you dont know about.
So knowing that the speed sign radar in my neighborhood being 1-2mph off just from reading my post isn’t jumping to conclusions? Do as I say not as I do?

Quote:
Just appreciate the information that is shared. not to mention the title of the thread is asking about top speed...
Just because the title is top speed, doesn't mean it's ok to advocate running top speed on public roads.

And I do appreciate the info that’s being shared. What makes you think I don’t?
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote