View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2018, 10:45 AM   #42
thumper64
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

-new gen front and rear suspension
-new gen headlight mounted on driving light brackets and L brackets.
-ex500 gauge cluster, the tach reads a bit off but it works for my purposes
-ex500 rear shock and springs in front
-bike lowered about 2" front and rear
-dirtbike handlebars on homemade adapter plate on upper triple tree.
-UNI pod filters and Area P exhaust 112.5 main jet, 42 pilot and 2 washers under each needle, IIRC. Pilots could be dropped a size, but this starts in 30* weather.
-2x 6 LED driving lights
-Rear of frame chopped off and seat shortened, tail light and grab bar welded on closer.
-Removed fairings and service stand.

Next up is porting the head. I have a ticking sound coming from the left cylinder, and I found a used head and timing chain guides cheap, and I'll get a new timing chain tensioner to put on at the same time. Looking at the head, there's some pretty obvious things to clean up like casting lines and sharp edges without making any major changes, I'm just not sure how far to go, like deshrouding valves, where it will flow better but not drop compression too far and shift the power band too much. It'll probably benefit from a bit more compression and timing advance though, so I'm already planning to just omit the base gasket under the jugs and do the timing pickup mod. I believe it's the intake cam that was suggested to advance 1 tooth to improve top end.