View Single Post
Old July 29th, 2017, 05:13 PM   #132
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Keep in mind this is all performed on a 600. I learned to get fast by following 250/300s and then best applied it to my riding style. I was also shown a different "fast" line by the fastest experts we regularly have there. There is new kerbing this year so the line may have slightly changed.

When approaching turn one do not become tunnel visioned. Be aware of other riders and the wildlife. You can let off far past the hangar, AND that’s on a 600. If you pass anyone on the left side before the meatball be very careful. There is a section of track that is wavy, but at high speeds and while hard on the brakes it makes the rear of the bike bounce up. It is nothing that can’t be handled but this is just a warning. Make sure you brake trail brake into turn one, but don’t get over zealous or the infamous corner will claim another victim. I too use 2nd gear for this corner. As @adouglas stressed, do not turn in early (or late!). Take special care to avoid any rubber balls on the track. You want to be close to the kerbing. Dragging elbow on it could happen. In fact dragging elbow past it isn’t surprising either. Make sure you purposely miss the apex at “T2”. You want to shoot your bike out to the right side of the track. Taking this corner too tight will set yourself up for a high side. When approaching turn three be sure to stay on or to the right of the seam on the tarmac. Just don’t be the guy that swings all the way to the left. It is unnecessary, dangerous, and wastes time. There are lots of lines through here. But I found that hitting the first apex and the second is my favorite method. T3 is a great corner for trail braking. I feel like there is a lot of grip there. When you set it up right it feels like it sucks you in (hehe). After T3 let the bike swing out to mid track. You shouldn’t be riding over the seam on the tarmac. Get on the throttle and head for T4. There is a bump there as adouglas mentioned. I usually go around it. At this point you should be near or already full throttle. Allow your bike to swing out to the left edge, but don’t hit the grass. Stay on the left edge. You do not have to set up in the middle or right side of the track. In fact if you swing out to the center the faster riders will get mad at you (lol I learned that the hard way). The fast guys let off of the throttle when they pass over the hill. You’ll notice lots of tire marks on the inside of turn 5 after the hill. Do not go wide approaching T6. The grip is low there. You want to stay somehow about mid track when you’re at the bottom of the bowl. When you approach the hill stay as close as possible to the inside. Aim PAST the hill. You want to stay tight to the apex of T7/Wheelie Hill so that you don’t fly off the left side of the track (lol). It’s really easy to get air hear. In fact you can actually jump OVER a section of the grass at t7. Make sure you are not leaned over (tank slapper!). Your bike will fly to the left, bring it back to the right side. Turns 8 is one of my favorites. If you’re ballsy you can get your elbow down. This is the fastest and in my opinion the most dangerous section of the track. Small bikes lose a lot of territory here because we can just carry more speed. The 300s can’t reach a high enough speed here and therefore don’t reach there full potential here. You’ll know what I mean if you ride there. After you hit the apex at T8, immediately go straight to nine. You will have to scrub off some speed here. Don’t target fixate on the outside of the track. Also be very careful not to touch your toe and rearset on the kerbing at nine. It is very easy to do, and scary lol. Turn 10 has a dip in it, there isn’t much to it though. Turn eleven has a small bump on the inside. You should approach turn 12 just to the left of the seam. You can trail brake fairly deep into 12. Careful on cold tires in T11 and T12. Don’t forget to grab some throttle down the hill. You can save time here. Aim for turn 13. I usually end up sliding a tad here. Don’t hug the right side of the track. Go straight into the T13, let the bike swing out wide and come back for a late apex at the kerbing. T14 basically doesn’t exist lol. I like to late apex T15. When I pass T14 I go a bit to the right, and then come back for the late apex. You can wheelie out of T15 really easily. It is also turn that can end in a highside if not approached carefully. Watch the kerbing there, your rearset or knee can smack it. If you rear set hits it, you’re way to close to the inside. Full throttle after fifteen. Something I’ve noticed at T16/T17 is that people brake, or scrub off to much speed. I go through T16, let off a tad, go a little right then get back on the throttle for T17. I love this corner and find that I can save a lot time here compared to other riders. It has always been my strong section. You can brake into T18 really late as well. This is more elbow dragging territory. Just remember, point and shoot. If you find yourself going wide don’t fight to hard to save it. You can run off and just pit out lol I wouldn’t recommend doing it a lot or the staff will get pissed.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.