View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2017, 07:11 AM   #149
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Just got back from a TERRIFIC weekend at Palmer. Dodged the rain and got good weather both days.

I borrowed a page from @csmith12's playbook and hosted a couple of new riders, including good eats.

One of those guys is destined for great things. Got his head screwed on right -- humble and an eager student -- but has really great technique. They bumped him to yellow on his second track day ever. He rides a bone-stock Ninja 300 and is already as fast or faster than me everywhere but the straights.

Also got an account of a dicey incident in blue group, involving our very own Greg (@backinthesaddleagain) and a pass in turn 5. But that's his story to tell.

Reason for this note, though, is an observation about learning and getting better. I successfully upped my game another notch and the whole weekend felt really good. What struck me about it was that I had more ability to observe, think and plan ahead during the lap, as opposed to managing each corner as it came. I did have a few moments, but by Sunday afternoon it was really clicking.

I think this has to do with that mental budget thing. Less of my brain is occupied with operating the bike and the details of technique, so more is available to think about other things like being smooth, bike placement, etc.

When you're still learning where the limits are, when you're tickling those SR triggers... that makes it harder to stay on line and hit your marks simply because of mental overload. But with experience and practice come comfort and confidence.

Note to self for next time... there are corners where you KNOW you can carry more speed. So do it.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote