View Single Post
Old June 19th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #35
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
This 92 year old lady is a victim of elderly abuse. Her children, whom are probably in their 60's or 70's, should have taken her keys and not let her drive. They should be held responsible for not caring for their mother (just like parents are responsible for reckless children). However, if there are no children, then I would hold the government responsible for not maintaining the safety of the road by letting an unqualified driver to possess a license (and drive).

Older drivers need to be tested more rigoriously then they currently are. They should be given a driving test (on the road with an instructor) that put them in situations, where the public can be in jepardy, to see how they handle the situations.

I read about elderly plowing into other cars, stores, bus stops, and even open air markets. They are quick to place the blame on others, or medication reactions, when it is usually confusion or delirium. This has been going on for far to long and the statistics show the elderly are just as dangerous as the young new driver (per mile driven).

I feel for the elderly when they lose their ability to drive thus losing their independence but I feel the danger of them killing others is more of an issue. Unfortunately, it comes down to voting. Older people vote (younger don't as much). They vote for people who protect them at the expense of others.
I agree with you that the government should take more and better steps to ensure that drivers remain qualified to drive. But I disagree with you wanting to point your finger at the lady's family. It is no more their fault than it is your fault. And as you correctly eluded to, statistically, the elderly are no more dangerous than a new driver. And it certainly is not just the elderly who have plowed their cars into other cars, stores, etc.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote