View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2017, 08:43 AM   #6
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
well I figured out that the reason the wheels weren't turning the motor over is that there's a free-pedal mode on these guys, so you can ride it around like a bicycle without the extra resistance of turning the motor over. I pulled that lever so we're now in engine pedal mode!

when I went to pedal it, it will pedal up until the motor tries to spin over, and then there's this horrible clonking noise and everything jolts to a stop. pretty scary. however, I think that it's something to do with the transmission and not with the actual motor, because the motor turns over just fine by hand every single time. there actually does appear to be a decent amount of compression. I forgot how tiny these lil guys are.

this is a variated transmission (CVT like a scooter) located basically at the rear wheel, so I started there - the clonking seems to be in the back of the bike. I pulled the belt and rollers off (where they attach to the driveshaft at the motor) and honestly the rollers don't look that bad. I've seen way worse. the buddy 50 scooters and other vespas i have worked on have clearly shown flat spots in the nylon casing. these will last a little longer haha.

I pulled apart the rear clutch bell/hub thingy. the starter clutch shoes are FRIED and the clutch was entirely 100% seized. I am hoping this is the reason the moped wouldn't start. maybe when everything got spinning fast enough to start the bike, the starter clutch just couldn't move? I'm not really exactly clear on the starting mechanism as far as what everything is doing inside that rear clutch bell. maybe I can find a video. in any case, there are 3 clutch shoes and 2 starter shoes and they definitely all need to be replaced. I go to treatland.tv for moped parts. that site is weird but they have everything!

here are some pics. I guess this will turn into a build thread. if the belt and rollers are less than $20 I'll just go ahead and buy them. so far, the other parts i need total about $70. not bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bravoclutchshoes.jpg (30.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg bravoclutchbell.jpg (67.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg bravostartershoes.jpg (25.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg bravoclutch.jpg (28.3 KB, 3 views)
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote