View Single Post
Old September 12th, 2017, 05:03 PM   #35
SRoehr
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletmo View Post
Ok so the long awaited results... I am doing this because i could not find any updated info on the ninja 250 new gens anywhere when i wanted to install mine and had many questions. I thank @Chicagobob @Motofool @mike_k for there help

I did this because my Stock Oem Speedometer cluster was way to big and ugly for my streetfighter look im building....

After receiving this Vapor Trail Tech in the mail i waited for the weekend and installed it, It took like 2 hours figuring out everything. For future buyers of the Trail Tech Vapor, i write this for you. You will need the Vapor Trail Tech Vapor 75-600 (sv-650 kit) because of a tach resistor that it comes with. I bought mine for 92$ shipped from ebay. I might buy the idiot lights later on, but im happy with it as is, especially since im going to make it to a track bike once i move to a ZX6r. You must know your bike if you dont want to go the idiot light route because there are no neutral lights, high beam, turn signal, or gas gauge (just reset trip meter every time you fill up).

Tachometer: This was the easiest, All you have to do is remove the Black RPM wire and the Black/Yellow Ground (Power -) wire from the harness. Then you take your Tach wire from the vapor that has a resistor on the end of it and it will be black and red. You split them since they will be stuck together then strip the wire to where it is naked and wrap the Red vapor wire to the black (RPM) wire female connector on the ninja 250 harness. The you take the Black wire on the vapor trail tech and attach it to the Black/Yellow wire from the ninja 250 Harness and wrap it around the female connector. When you are done, either shrink tube it or tape it VERY GOOD.
If you buy Male connectors then it will make it cleaner and more reliable, FYI.

Speedometer: Assuming you got the same version as me, then you will receive a U-Shaped sensor that you are supposed to stick to the fork and let it pass by the magnet. I wasnt going to trust there tape, so i used a blade and cut the adhesive off that it came with and used used JB Weld to stick it on the fork. It is like cement! I dont think it will ever move Now for the magnet that it will be passing through, it gives you 2 of them. I used the screw magnet, took one of the rotor bolts out and replaced it with the screw magnet. It fit in the rotor bolts hole perfect. Beware though, the rotor screw has loctite on there and is a bitch to take out, you will need an air tool or a torque wrench. Make sure the magnet on the rotor bolt passes through the sensor, you will have to put the sensor on the fork were the magnet bolt will pass by.

Power: The vapor trail tech come with a wire that looks exactly like the tach wire but without the resistor. The red is the Positive obviously and the black is the Negative/Ground. All you have to do is split them like you split the tach wire into two only from the end, dont split both wires all the way. After that you will strip like an inch or smaller and run it through the side of the bike under the fairings and under the seat to the battery. Place a Lug on the end of both the positive and the negate to were they can fit through the battery screw and done. You now have Back light constantly. The Vapors run on battery when not plugged to the battery of the bike, but it is not recommended at all and you should do this to all the vapors and bikes.

Coolant Temperature: This is very very simple but i made it hard since i could not locate the screw sensor for the coolant on the bike. It will give you a wire attatchd to a chrome cylinder, go ahead and unscrew the sensor from the chrome cylinder that they say to put on the coolant tube. Now locate the coolant sensor that is already on the bike from the other gauge and remove it. It is right next to the coolant cap, looks like this. Its silver with a gold screw which is the sensor. Now once you take it out, this is when you want to put the sensor that you removed from the cylinder chrome piece from the vapor and screw it in the place of the bolt you just took out. It should fit perfect. It wont go all the way in though, its normal dont freak out. Now when testing it, you have to first reset the vapor on the back with a little red button and then it will start reading the temp.

Mounting it: You can either use the handle bar mounts they gave you or use your creative mind and fabricate something of your own with metal sheets or metal anything! There are some ideas out there if you search, here is mine below I took the bike without the Vapor on it and unplugged from everything since i wanted a better mount then the handle bar one, i wanted it in the center. So i went to my uncles shop (he's a mechanic) and he made this literally in like 5 min, it was amazing watching him go so fast. That would have took me like an hour to make haha Anyways, i painted it black and it worked out perfect. It does not wiggle or anything either!

Settings:
-Program wheel size:2109mm. I'm still testing this on a gps later, i will edit if wrong. (Seems accurate though)
-Pulses Per revolution: Set to 1.
-High Temp:I set it to 200F. (Your Preference)
-Over Temp: I set it to 210F.( Your Preference)
-RPM Warning: (Yellow Light) I set to 8,000.( Your Preference)
-RPM Danger (Red Light) I set to 12,800.( Your Preference)

Cool Features that i love about it that the other stock cluster didnt have: It gives you the Coolant Temp reading, Outdoor Temp, Clock Time, Stopwatch, Record High MPH ( i did mine in the picture below but i could have gone a little faster if i kept going, it was a test ride in the neighborhood), riding time, Shift lights, digital and bar RPMS.
this is exactly what I was looking for! just ordered the 752-600 unit! reallay appreciate the detailed step-by-step directions!
SRoehr is offline   Reply With Quote