View Single Post
Old October 1st, 2018, 01:21 PM   #13
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

for the record, if there is a harbor freight around, pick up the torque wrenches on one of their "biggest sales ever!!!!" you can score a 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive for $11.99 each. i turn wrenches for a living, and have used all three sizes for three years with no issues. Rebuilt 15 liter engines, each year i have them calibrated when the guy comes around to our shop. each year they check ok. i used to catch flak about the cheap wrenches, till a friend had an 800 buck digital snap-on and under torqued a bolt, causing a little over $20,000 in repairs...
another good brand i have had good luck with was a gear-wrench 1/4 drive.
you dont have to break the bank to buy a good torque wrench.
like @adouglas said, always zero them back out. dont drop them, and if in doubt, check it against a known good wrench if you cannot get it calibrated by someone.
Personally, i have not worried about using the wrench in reverse, to torque, not breaking a bolt loose. they say not to, but what do you do when you have to torque a bolt with reverse threads???
with all this said, this is a precision tool, if it is not precise, its worthless. so take care of it, and double check it's accuracy before relying on it for precision work
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote