View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2017, 10:27 AM   #1
Jerrytheclown
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Question Looking to buy a fixer-upper 2007 Ninja 250r as a first bike. Good idea?

HI y'all! I'm new to the world of motorcycles, having just gotten my permit and completed an MSF course and I'm looking for a first bike. I took the course on am old Ninja and I really liked it. Thing is, I really need transportation right now but I don't have the 2-3K to cough up at the moment so I was looking to buy a super cheap scooter off a friend to tide me over while I save the money. But then, I found a guy selling a beat up 2007 Ninja 250r on Craigslist for $600 which is ludicrously cheap. Link for the pictures and seller description: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...071062323.html
Basically, to summarize, it's been dropped. Apparently no serious mechanical issues, but dent and cracks in the fairings, banged up rear rotor, possibly slightly crooked handle bars, and a leaky hose somewhere.

So here my dilema: I'm very very tempted to buy this bike so I can skip the whole scooter thing. I consider myself good with my hands and tinkering with stuff but I have no experience with bikes whatsoever. I can learn on the fly (and I think it would be good to learn more about repairing the bike anyway) and I've been told Ninjas are easy to get parts for. But at the same time, I don't want to buy it and then end up with issues I can't fix. So, for all you experienced Ninja riders and mechanics here: how bad does it look? Is it fixable for someone like me, or should I pass?

Thanks!
Jerrytheclown is offline   Reply With Quote