Old July 22nd, 2017, 08:01 PM   #5
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Thanks Misti

This is the closest Youtube I could find to his advice. Now first off, this youtube has a lot of things wrong with it, but it does have the points I was trying in it too.

Link to original page on YouTube.

The main two differences from what I experimented with were:

1. "Kiss your elbow" -- this seems way more exaggerated than I've been trying; I go out more (or rather, try to) than "kiss the mirrors" but I try to stay in more alignment with the bike than Kiss the elbow.

2. Arm up. I tend to let my inside arm sort of 'fall into place' (not completely limp but very relaxed) and lay my outside arm across the tank. I was advised to actively keep my inside arm 'up'. This definitely feels like it pulls me off the bike more when I take position, but holding it there through the turn feels awkward and my arm got a bit tired pretty quickly, which made me tense and messed up my lines pretty bad.

OMG I'm sorry I can't even watch this video there are so many points i disagree with. Remember when I made you and Paul hold out your hands? Remember what I did? Next time I'm going to do the same thing for wasting 7 minutes of your time watching this when you already have the fundamentals from all the CSS classes you take!!

Your body position has evolved so much and so well over the course of your time at the school. It has been something that has been difficult for you to undue (you had some bad habits) but you have progressed and this latest school was the best I had seen it. There were still things to work on (as you found out with the suggestion LYLE gave you on the last day) but there were more important things I wanted to focus on first.

So, you mention trying to kiss your elbow and that to me is just too much work and movement. when you watch me ride, or any of the coaches at the school the thing is that we don't move around on the bike very much. This guy in the video is telling people to basically stand up and huck your body over to the side WAY far. Imagine doing that all day and how tired you'd be after the first session, not to mention how unnecessary that is. He doesn't mention anything about having a stable lower body in order to remain connected to the motorcycle so you'd end up using your arms to hold the bars and drag yourself across.....if you try and kiss your elbow you end up too low and then all you have to do is move over farther when you switch directions. It's TOO MUCH WORK. It's silly (not to mention the fact that he thinks the throttle makes the bike run wide) ugh. seriously. Just get your head over to the inside of the bike as if you were kissing your hand or the mirror, not the freekin ground....

2. Arm up? again, no. Inside arm relaxed, elbow pointed to the ground, "jazz hands" on the bars. Less work, no tension...you know this stuff.

Just continue to work on stabilizing your lower body, knee to knee and hip flick to get you across the bike quickly. Setting up early and pinching the tank with your knees. As LYLE said, point your hips into the turn, you've progressed so much.

and stop watching silly youtube videos

Misti is offline   Reply With Quote