View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #73
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
A later-ride report for those who bolted after the run up 218….

The fun continued on the other side of the river. Eddiekay led us across the Bear Mountain Bridge and we regrouped at the big traffic circle in Peekskill. That's the same alternate meet point I referred to earlier, by the way.

We all took off up Rt. 9 and I quickly got close to Eddie (sorry for breaking protocol, Panda, but I've ridden with him before and I knew that if I lost him, he'd be GONE).

It was Eddie, John-who-came-from-NJ-on-the-blue-SV650, then me, with the rest of the group fading into the distance behind. Eddie, in classic fashion, tried to snooker us… signaling to turn when there was no turn and then later diving off onto a side road so quick that it caught John out and he overshot.

Serves him right… the guy rides, shall we say, a bit on the aggressive side. He recovered and rejoined. Nobody else did… they were so far back by then that we'd vanished by the time they arrived.

Order by then was eddie, me and John-who-etc.

Note to new riders: Eddiekay is a maniac in the best kind of way. Follow at your own risk… I promise a challenge. He will test you and leave you in the dust if you're not up to it.

He led us a merry chase along insanely narrow, twisty and hilly back roads at a speed I certainly would not try on my own. At one point there was a patch of sand that got him decidedly sideways. There were also a couple of short stretches of dirt road, which we rode very slowly and were therefore not a problem. Despite this, John managed to spin his wheels in the dirt… whether intentionally or through lack of throttle control is not clear.

I wouldn't be able to reproduce that route if I tried. I was too busy trying not to wad the bike up. I did manage to stick with him, though…

Eventually we wound up back on Rt 9 a couple of miles north of where we'd left it. We split up at that point and I headed down to the pool party I'd been invited to.

All told a great day! A pleasure to meet everyone. I found some new roads to play on and it was well worth the trip.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote